Monday, June 1, 2009

Short Attention Span Theater

I was looking at things on the Amazon Kindle Store and stumbled across an interesting short story.  I’d glanced at it at first and didn’t think much of it but I began reading the user reviews of others.  And many of them said it was a good story but horribly violent or “inappropriate” to be on Amazon's top listings.  So of course once I saw these I had to read it.  The explanation behind the story made me even more interested as well.

I’ll say a little about it but I don’t want to say too much and risk giving it away.  The saying is you should never hitch a ride with someone because that someone may be a psychopath.  Conversely, other saying goes that you shouldn’t pick up a hitchhiker on the road because the person you may be picking up may be a sociopath. So what would happen if a psychopath picked up a psychopath….and hilarity ensues.

Ok well maybe its just hilarity to me because I’m fucked in the head…don’t judge me.

The way the story was written is intriguing as well. The story was written by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch.  They’re both horror fiction writers and my impression is they do suspense and slasher kind of stuff.  The story was written by email over five hours, and was broken into three parts.  Part 1, was written by Kilborn, with Crouch writing the second part. Part 3 was written by both of them while going back and forth in email in 100 word messages.  Neither knew the other’s earlier writings so it gave a interesting dynamic to the whole story.

I found it here for the Kindle and spent some time looking for it for the rest of you and I found it!

Go to http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/books_9780446535939.htm

in the bottom right hand of the page is a section labeled ‘Book Extras’ that’s where you’ll find the story.

Go read it and let me know what you think, in the meantime I think I’m going to look into these two authors and see what all they have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment